Mother’s Day fave: Classic Waffles
When we ended up with a waffle maker almost three 3 years ago, the kids were super excited to get in the kitchen and cook up this popular breakfast. Starting with the waffle maker’s recipe book, followed by numerous other recipe attempts, we just couldn’t get them to work. Frustrated, the maker ended up in the back of the cupboard and we forgot about it for a good couple of years.
A couple of months ago, the kids again begged to cook waffles so we pulled it out for one last attempt. Previous recipes had included complicated processes like whipping egg whites then gently folding them in to the batter, so we went with a super simple, classic recipe. I’ll admit, my expectations were pretty low but… wow, we nailed it! Homemade waffles are now our regular weekend family breakfast cook up and this recipe is yet to disappoint!
Deliciously soft in the centre and crunchy on the outside, if you love waffles, you have to try these!
Makes 6-8 large waffles (you can also half ingredients for a smaller batch)
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar (we half this for a regular batch)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder) and add sugar. Preheat waffle maker.
- Warm milk slightly in separate bowl or jug. Add melted butter, beaten eggs and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and whisk until smooth – you will see the batter change to a super smooth, glossy batter.
- Ladle mix into waffle maker then close. Wait for waffles to cook – we find leaving them without opening the waffle iron for a little longer than expected, produces a better, crispier result. Place cooked waffles on paper towel to avoid any sogginess.
- Once the waffles are cooked, remove then close waffle iron so it can preheat again – this means the next batch will be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Serve immediately with your fave toppings – ours include berries and icecream, bacon and maple syrup, and cooked banana. YUM!